Arduino is a powerful electronic prototyping platform used by over one million people around the world. The Arduino Ethernet shield is the perfect addition to the Arduino platform to get it connected to your local network and to the Web in minutes. This book covers several projects you can build using the Arduino Ethernet shield. These projects are organized in three parts. The first part of the book will cover the basics of the Ethernet shield and the Ethernet library, such as how to run an Ethernet client that sends data to a server on your computer. The second part will make the Arduino and Ethernet shield more independent by running a web server on the Arduino board. You will learn how to create, record, and visualize data using Xively service.
The last part of the book is dedicated to the topic of the Internet of Things, with projects that connect the Ethernet shield directly to the Web. You will also learn to create an account on Temboo to get access to a wide range of cloud services.
What You Will Learn
- Interface the Ethernet shield with Arduino and to your Ethernet router
- Learn the basics of the Arduino Ethernet library
- Grab the content of a web page using the Ethernet shield
- Measure data and send it to a server running on your computer
- Create a data logging station with a web server running on the Ethernet shield
- Send measured data to the cloud service Xively, so it can be monitored from anywhere
- Discover how to use the Temboo web service to connect the Ethernet shield to more cloud services