A comprehensive guide to the best common practices for Internet service providers
- Learn the best common practices for configuring routers on the Internet from experts who helped build the Internet
- Gain specific advice through comprehensive coverage of all Cisco routers and current versions of Cisco IOS Software
- Understand the Cisco IOS tools essential to building and maintaining reliable networks
- Increase your knowledge of network security
- Learn how to prevent problems and improve performance through detailed configuration examples and diagrams
Cisco IOS Software documentation is extensive and detailed and is often too hard for many Internet service providers (ISPs) who simply want to switch on and get going. Cisco ISP Essentials highlights many of the key Cisco IOS features in everyday use in the major ISP backbones of the world to help new network engineers gain an understanding of the power of Cisco IOS Software and the richness of features available specifically for them. Cisco ISP Essentials also provides a detailed technical reference for the expert ISP engineer, with descriptions of the various knobs and special features that have been specifically designed for ISPs. The configuration examples and diagrams describe many scenarios, ranging from good operational practices to network security. Finally, a whole appendix is dedicated to using the best principles to cover the configuration detail of each router in a small ISP Point of Presence.