What’s in This Book?
This book is divided into five main parts.
- Part 1 gives an overview of the tools and skills you’ll need to write games. It also covers the most basic programming concepts.
- Part 2 dives into object-oriented programming, which is a style of programming used by all professional game programmers.
- Part 3 shows how game programs are constructed. Here, you’ll write your first gamePing, a clone of the ancient Pong game. You’ll also learn to add sounds to your games.
- Part 4 raises your C++ skills to a level that enables you to write real games.
- Part 5 enables you to pull everything you’ve learned together to write the game Invasion of the Slugwroths, and leaves you fully equipped to go on and write your own games.
What’s Different About This Book
There are lots of beginning game programming books. In the end, the question everyone asks is, “What’s special about this book in particular?”
I’m glad you asked.
The short answer to your question is that this book is unlike 99 percent of all beginning game programming books in several respects.