With the software industry becoming more and more competitive, organizations are now integrating delivery automation and automated quality assurance practices into their business model. Jenkins represents a complete automation orchestration system and can help converge once segregated groups into cohesive product development and delivery team. By mastering the Jenkins platform and learning to architect and implement Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and Continuous Deployment solutions, your organization can learn to outmaneuver and outpace the competition.
This book will equip you with the best practices to implement advanced continuous delivery and deployment systems in Jenkins. The book begins with giving you high-level architectural fundamentals surrounding Jenkins and Continuous Integration. You will cover the different installation scenarios for Jenkins, and see how to install it as a service, as well as the advanced XML configurations. Then, you will proceed to learn more about the architecture and implementation of the Jenkins Master/Save node system, followed by creating and managing Jenkins build jobs effectively. Furthermore, you’ll explore Jenkins as an automation orchestration system, followed by implementing advanced automated testing techniques. The final chapters describe in depth the common integrations to Jenkins from third-party tools such as Jira, Artifactory, Amazon EC2, and getting the most out of the Jenkins REST-based API.
By the end of this book, you will have all the knowledge necessary to be the definitive resource for managing and implementing advanced Jenkins automation solutions for your organization.
Who This Book Is For
If you are a novice or intermediate-level Jenkins user who has used Jenkins before but are not familiar with architecting solutions and implementing it in your organization, then this is the book for you. A basic understanding of the core elements of Jenkins is required to make the best use of this book.
What You Will Learn
- Create and manage various types of build jobs, and implement automation tasks to support a software project of any kind
- Get to grips with the automated testing architecture, and scalable automated testing techniques
- Facilitate the delivery of software across the SDLC by creating scalable automated deployment solutions
- Manage scalable automation pipelines in Jenkins using the latest build, test, and deployment strategies
- Implement a scalable master/slave build automation platform, which can support Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux software solutions
- Cover troubleshooting and advanced configuration techniques for Jenkins slave nodes
- Support a robust build and delivery system by implementing basic infrastructure as code solutions in configuration management tools such as Ansible